Re: NFC: Re: Re: Stunted fish growth and breeding

Those must be some seriously slow growing cats then...that or maybe they
never try to turn around?  A god-awful pet store in my town has an albino
channel cat in a 55 gal and the thing's nose is constantly rubbed raw &
being treated for infection b/c it rubs itself raw trying to turn around in
the tank...and this is pretty small as channel cats go...only about 30"
(most of the ones you pull out of lakes around here are 3-4').  Sure, this
cat is still alive & the guy has had it for years, but it's constantly on
medication to keep the infections from spreading, the water is terrible even
using the filtration system on this one tank that is normally used for 10-15
of the display tanks and biweekly water changes.  Frankly, I think it is
deplorable.

I will agree with all those who posted about research or commercial
facilities who have incredible systems & successfully raise extremely
crowded tanks...but I have yet to see a home aquarist willing to make that
type of investment.  Sorry if I had implied earlier that it was possible for
anyone...I was just talking about at-home set-ups...my high school FFA group
actually used to raise tilapia in our school shop & sometimes it didn't look
like there was any water at all, just fish.  Never had much stunting or
mortality either (unless you count the time someone left a door open for a
weekend when it was 35 below & blew up the whole schools heating system.
fishicle anyone?), but that was with a $10k filtration system and obsessive
kids watching for ANYTHING going wrong.

-kris