Re: NFC: Re: Acipenser ruthensis (sp?)

Lisa
Thanks much, I have only found the name, proper one,
not the other I posted, on two lists in the Acipensers
but not an iota of info on them.

I was curious as I found that SeaGrest (sp?) in Fla is

distributing them, I saw one this week in a shop up in
the Rochester,NY area. Pretty little thing as
sturgeons go, very active and loves adult artemia, but
not holding its own well with a big pleco in the tank
for food. I told him to feed it well and I would take
it if
he could get several others.

Seems like they are a good candidate for an outdoor
pool. All the NA sturgeons are endangered or
threatened either with the feds or the states. But
there are a couple of private hatcherys raising the
Lake and River Sturgeons, they get a tad larger.

These are pricey but would make nice subjects for
large tanks.

The CITES II doesnt prohibit trade but regulates it
and its the umbrella under which the caviar trade
functions. Some states here have restrictions in state
laws requiring permits to handle any sturgeon parts,
NY has that, I talked to the area DEC fisheries rep
and he laughed and said we could have fingerling lakes
but
if any died the person would be in trouble if they
didnt THEN have the state permit. I think he was half
joking, but, some bueracrat in Albany might not.

thanks again,
jake