Re: NFC: PoP Eye help

Hi Stephen
'Popeye' is as much a symptom as a of conditions as a
result of disease.As you state, a number of varied
causes. I have had far more luck, treating it with
marine fish then freshwater. What factor I think is
very likely to result in cases of it is overcrowding
and water quality. I have always done ample water
changes in freshwater tanks, and try not to crowd let
alone overcrowd. Its a lot easier to prevent then to
cure.

I wouldnot worry about the discoloration of your
water, it will fade, but, also, regular water changes
will disipate it. One thing to keep in mind is that
now you have little or no biofiltration going on so
you need to increase your mechanical filtration as
well as water changes.It will take two months or more
before you can count on effective biofiltration again
in this tank.

I have found 'popeye' to be of no contagion so follow
routine of draconian water changes when it occurs and
if the infected fish doesnot clear it up in a month I
have euthanised them. I think an incidence of at most
once a year is the most I have had. Crowding or water
quality dropping will bring it on fairly readily.

The occurence in marine fish seems to be more often
associated with treatable medications then in
freshwater, at least that seems my experience.

Not much help, but my suggetion is major water
changes, keep the temps up and augment the mechanical
filtration until your bio population re-establishes.
good luck.
jake