Re: NFC: Another Filter/Aquarium Question

Hey Jake,

I had this 29 gallon tank that was a marine tank with nothing but different
species of puffer fish.  The stocking density was through the roof, but the
fish did well.  20% water change per week, and roughly 1,000GPH filtration
running through that tank.  When I'd first put a new fish in there it would
get knocked around a bit but after a very short period of adjustment the
fishes would all swim around normally, hover, etc. as if the water were
perfectly still.  To the casual observer there would be no evidence that the
water was so highly agitated until I dropped some food in there.  Most foods
were useless in such a tank because it would blast apart into a cloud and
disappear.  So I would feed them large food items like whole mussels, in the
shell.  Or shrimp.  Or big chunks of whitefish.  That tank did great for
about a year and then an ice storm took the power down.  With about a dozen
pufferfish in a 29 gallon tank it didn't take long for the worst to happen.

But the water was always crystal clear.  Not an easy task when you've got a
tank full of messy puffers.

Chris Hedemark - Hillsborough, NC
http://yonderway.com