NFC: re: species lost to habitat destruction (was: Re: PleaseHelp)

Joshua Wiegert replied to Jenni:  (seriously snipped)

>>   You may also want to look at some of the species which
>>  have been lost to habitat destruction.  UNfortunately, none
>>  immediatley come to mind.

One well-documented and described example that comes immediately to my mind (but it took me a while to refind it) is:

" Where the killifish aren't --  a pictorial essay on how the growth of downtown Huntsville, Alabama, destroyed the habitat of the now-extinct whiteline killifish, Fundulus albolineatus" by Bruce Stallworth.

http://www.aka.org/aka/gallery/fundulus/huntsville.html/odyframe.htm

HTH

Doug Dame
Interlachen/Gainesville FL