[APD] Re: light intensity issues

Hey gang,

Tom Barr offers:

> Or be willing to pay the price of the ticket.
> Less light should be the trend hopefully, 1.5-3w
> max/gal

Why on Earth would we do that?

> Generally:
> Every method is easier if you use less light.

Horse feathers. Maybe your method, but you're not
going to sell that to many hobbyists who are doing
other stuff and being very successful at it at *high*
light levels. These kinds of broad statements hinder,
not help.

> More % of the nutrients can come from the substrate
> and the fish waste.

Rich substrates combined with high light are all the
rage now-- Much more diverse in material and content
than were used before without being "dirt", and it's
bolstering the higher lighting not suppressing.
Actually dirt (soil more accurately) and high light
have been proven to be a winning combo for plant
growth and algae suppression by the Brazilians who
showed very well in this year's AGA showcase and also
some well read Americans. Less dependence on the water
column, especially for Macros, is the key to higher
lighting. In this respect, we're finally catching up
to the folks in the East....

> Things grow slower but stuill healthy, prunings stay
> in balance better,
> FAST GROWERS are no longer hard to keep up with.

Yeah, yeah... We know you're lazy, but not all of us
are. That car analogy is tired and irrelevant for
those of us who don't mind trimming our plants. Yeah,
you crash faster/harder, or whatever, but you can
recover just as fast when your plants grow at the
accelerated level only high ligh can provide. Further,
changes in maintenance habits, especially ferts, will
show effects much faster and the hobbyist can make
adjustments accordingly and FASTER. The sword has 2
edges after all....

> Case and point, E azuera, damn weed in a CO2/high
> light tank, easy nice
> plant in a non CO2 set up. Same for Gloss et al.

So? Show us a picture of what Glosso looks like in a
non-CO2 tank with 1.5-3wpg max. I seriously doubt that
it's anything I'd want in my tank. Maybe you like
leggy, dark, small, misshaped green globs growing
straight up... I'll pass, thanks. The short story is
that Glossostigma is easier to keep *nice* in a higher
light set-up, as are many other plants.

> Most folks assume and mistake low light values for
> their problems that are
> really deficencies(CO2/NO3/haven't feed their
> fish/have too much fish).

Poor nutrition will plague folks at any light level.
It's simply a matter of learning, and adjusting.
There's alot of bad advice going around out there, so
I know this can be a challenge. Hang in there guys!!

I'm not suggesting that elevated lighting is right for
everyone-- It's not. However, please don't knock it
(read: persuade others not to do it) as it has serious
advantages for those so inclined to try.

Kindest wishes,
John Wheeler