RE: Standard Lamp Holders

Stephanie asked about standard lamp holders as opposed to the
water-resistant end-caps...

I reply:

I use regular AH Supply endcaps in my DIY sliding wooden hood, and have not
had any problems in 5 months...  I asked this same sort of question, so
there is some good advice in the archives too.  My recommendation is not to
cut the hood, use the standard caps and return the fancy endcaps if
possible.  I'd also make sure I had a GFCI for the aquarium though...

One think you neglected to mention was if you were going to use a glass top
or not, but I am assuming you are not going to use one.  I don't in my hood,
but I did allow ~5" of space b/w the water and the lights.

HTH,
Tony