AquaticTech
 
F I N S :   T h e   F i s h   I n f o r m a t i o n   S e r v i c e
  Reef Tank Case Study
 
     

FINS Home
FAQs
Index of Species
Articles
Directories
Glossary
Software
DIY Plans
Gallery
Mailing Lists
Links
About FINS

Search FINS:

{Sidebar}

 

Aquarium Log

This is a chronological log of all measurements, changes, and observations relating to this tank. Also check out the coral growth log for the Acropora Challenge.

1993 log entries

1/9/94

Add algae blennie, Salarius fasciatus

1/12/94
Changed actinic bulbs, replaced failed QuietOne pump. Water testing: S.G.=1.0205, temp=77.5, alk=7.0 dKH, pH=8.1, nitrate=0, Ca=516ppm.
Missing log entries
10/12/94
Did water testing to fill out forms for Acropora Challenge. S.G.=1.026 (high!), nitrate < 0.25ppm, pH 8.2 (a little low, should add more buffer & kalkwasser), alk=7 dKH, Ca+ = 500ppm (this is surpisingly high; good thing I've quit using CaCl2), temp 78. Following testing I dropped the salinity a little by removing a gallon a saltwater and replacing with freshwater, and added more buffer and kalkwasser. Lobophyllia seems happier an hour later.
10/16/94
Received coral fragments of Acrpoora microphthalma, A. elseyi, Pavona cactus, and Montipora digitata. Also added 4 very small limpets and 8 astrea snails.
10/17/94
Attached new coral fragments to rocks with rubber bands. Shot video pictures of them with rulers to document growth. Tested pH = 8.3, alk = 7.5 dKH, salinity = 1.026 S.G. (still too high, will have to adjust)
10/20/94
Pavona coral came loose from rock. It landed near the elegance coral, but I don't think they touched. I replaced it, wrapping rubber bands more firmly this time. If it slips again, I will find marine epoxy. I added another powerhead for greater current, but it was actually too much (yellow polyps and elegance were unhappy, tang was even skittish), so I shut it off. I think I need more current, but a less powerful PH than the one I used.
10/22/94
Added a Tridacna crocea clam. Also finally got a wavemaker, currently set to randomly switch 3 power heads at 1 minute intervals.
10/24/94
Now dosing with Combisan instead of separate iodine and strontium additives. The bottle says to start at a drop per gallon per week, and work up to a final dosage of 2-3 times that; that works out to about 1 teaspoon for my tank/week.
10/30/94
Dosing the Combisan at 1/2 teaspoon every other day now.
11/5/94
Added 3 Astrea tecta snails, Cladiella soft coral attached to live rock.
11/12/94
Added mandarin fish. Used marine epoxy to glue down the coral fragments, which weren't staying in place well enough with rubber bands.
11/13/94
Performed a 6 gallon water change.
11/17/94
Tests-- pH 8.4, alk 6.0 dKH, Ca+ 516 ppm, Nitrate < 0.25ppm, S.G. 1.026, temp 78F
11/27/94
Discovered something has been attacking the Pavona cactus coral. Numerous small chips are missing from the upper edges. A number of them are littering the live rock below the coral. Don't know what's doing this.
12/5/94
Replaced the almost 2 year old MH lights with new bulbs. It is much much brighter, and somewhat yellowish as well. Hopefully the bulbs will soon stabilize and be less yellow.
12/17/94
Water tests: pH 8.4, temp 77.2F, S.G. 1.026, nitrate < 0.25ppm, Calcium 567ppm, total alkalinity 7.56 dKH.
     
(c) Copyright 1993-2000 by Active Window Productions, Inc. See our disclaimers.