Index of Species
Food and Additives
I add several different kinds of food on different schedules:
- Frozen brine shrimp, Formula I, other prepared foods
- I add these mainly for the fish, usually every other day. I
add only one type of food at a time, but alternate among the various
foods. When I'm feeding brine shrimp, I try to squirt some of
them at the corals that will eat it.
- Chopped shrimp or squid
- About once a month, the larger corals are given 1/4 inch chunks
of seafood. I cut up the seafood while it is fresh, and then freeze
it in a ziplock bag. At feeding time I defrost the needed amount,
and place it on the corals with long tweezers.
- Finely ground fry food
- Every couple of weeks, I will dissolve some of this in tank
water, and then squirt that among the smaller corals and other
filter feeders. This is just to make sure that they are getting
enough food since I don't feed the fish very much.
I also add a number of different additives:
I rarely do water changes. When I do, it's about 10 gallons, and it
happens every couple of months. I usually gage when to do this by
how the corals look. If the corals go a couple of days without opening
fully or looking completely happy, then it's time for a water change.
- I mix this up regularly, about a teaspoon of Ca(OH)2 to a gallon
of water. A couple times a day, I add about a cup of this to the
tank, pouring some into the sump, and some across the top of the
tank. It is important not to add it too fast to avoid a "snowstorm"
where all of the calcium percipitates out of solution. Some day
I will build an automatic kalkwasser reactor.
- When I was dosing calcium with CaCl2, I added about 2 teaspoons
a week. Now that I'm using Kalkwasser, I expect to need it much
less often. I've been using the Kent Marine seabuffer.
- While I prefer to use simple additives where I know everything
that is in them, I won a couple bottles of Combisan in a raffle,
so I'm trying this for a while as an experiment. I've quit adding
Strontium or Iodine separately, and am now dosing 1/2 teaspoon
of Combisan every other day.
- Strontium and Moybdenum
- I generally use the Kent Marine preparation for this, adding
a couple teaspoons a week.
- I mix my own iodine additive from Lugol's solution obtained
at a pharmacy. I put 1 ml of Lugol's into a liter of R/O water,
then does a couple teaspoons of this solution into the tank each