Millenial Fish Asphyxiation

My wife got up in the middle of the night and turned off the outside
filter ( a 500 gpm  "Emperor" (?) with two biowheels ) on my 135 gallon
tank, cause it was "making too much noise".

Looked in the tank the following morning and the fish were at the top
gasping for air. I immediately stopped the CO2 additions and pumped in
air.   A quick recovery ensued.   The Ph had dropped from 7.0 to 6.6 (
fresh water is 7.6+ here).

I guess the tank was operating on a fine balance with the spray bars for
the two biowheels infusing oxygen and promoting CO2 loss.  Turning off
the filter upset the balance.