RE: Wood shrimp/NEC workshop

> Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 08:33:08 -0500
> From: Karen Randall <krandall at world_std.com>
> Subject: Flower Shrimp
>
> Bob Buettner wrote:
>
> >On another note I just got back from my semi annual drive to Uncle Ned's
> >Fish Factory in Millis Mass.
>
> Awww, that's too bad!  I'm only about 10 minutes from Ned's.  If I'd known
> you were comming it would have been fun to meet a fellow APD'er.  There are
> several others of us in the area too.  Are you planning on attending the
> NEC workshop in Farmington in March?  Claus Christensen will be speaking.
> (twice)
>
> >In my quest for the out of the ordinary for my
> >55 gal. tank I purchased 4  "Flower Shrimp". These are similar to Amano
> >Shrimp but much larger ( about 2 to 3 times the overall size of mature
> >Amano's).
>
> Atyopsis mollucensis.  Another common name is Thai Wood Shrimp, though
> their scientific name suggests that they are not from Thailand.<g>  They
> are really not much like "Amano" shrimp at all, unless you mean that they
> are both shrimp.  Amano shrimp are "pickers" they have tiny pincers, and
> move along the bottom grubbing for whatever they can find, particularly
> plant material.  Wood shrimp are filter feeders who will preferentially sit
> in a strong water flow (like the outflow of the filter) and let food come
> to them.  If they are really hungry, and not able to filter enough out of
> the water, they will move down to the floor of the tank and stroke through
> the detritus with their "feather dusters" looking for bits to eat.
>
> They are cool critters.  You'll really enjoy them.  I have found that in my
> planted tanks, when they settle in they turned _bright_ orange.  Then they
> were pretty as well as interesting!
>
> Karen
Karen,
Thanks for the info on the shrimp. The shrimp have turned a nice red/orange in my tank already and are spending their time suspended in my plants and on the intakes (I have sponge prefilters fitted). Hopefully they are comfortable in their new surroundings. The guys at Uncle Ned's mentioned that you stopped by quite frequently.......maybe next time! As far as the NEC workshop in Farmington... I was not aware of it coming up. Farmington (If you mean CT) is my hometown. Where can I get the details on the workshop? E-mail me off list if this is going off topic for the list!
Happy New Year to you and all fellow APD'rs
Thanks,
Bob Buettner
In sunny Northwest CT.....almost to the year 2K....tick tick tick
Visit the new location for my Freshwater Aquarium site
http://www.cshore.com/luna/Fishpics/Fishpicstn.html