Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1479

>A few weeks ago, I was getting very compact new growth, so I started adding
>Flourish.  Now new growth looks good, but I'm starting to see some leaves
>(like on my banana plants) that are pale green, but the veins are dark
>green.  I've read that this is a manganese deficiency.  I see that Flourish
>contains manganese, but I'm not sure if I should add more Flourish than I'm
>currently adding.  Right now I'm adding about 3ml to my 75g tank every 2 or
>3 days.  I'm going to get an Iron test kit.  Would I be able to determine
>proper dosing levels of Florish by measuring the Iron?  Or do I need to get
>a seperate Manganese trace additive?   If so, anyone got any suggestions on
>a good source?

You can slowly increase the amount of Flourish you are using since
our recommended dose is fairly broad and is biased to yield a safe
margin of error for overdosing... however if a particular tank is
well planted and is growing rapidly then one can use more Flourish
than recommended w/o a problem. The trick is determining if your tank
falls in that category. Simply slowly increase either the amount or
frequency (frequency would be better) of Flourish added. If you begin
to note algae slowly starting to creep in, then cut back a bit...
that should be right around the maximum you can use. I'm not an
expert on plant appearance with respect to a particular deficiency so
I'll leave that to others to comment on. If this is a Mn deficiency
however, anyone interested in a Flourish Manganese ? ;-) ;-)

-Greg Morin

Gregory Morin, Ph.D.  ~~~~~~~Research Director~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Seachem Laboratories, Inc.      www.seachem.com     888-SEACHEM