Re: KH buffers

Neil Travis wrote:

> further to my questions on  cyanobacteria [blue green algae] since posting
> my last message I have purchased a phosphate test kit and found that my
> phosphate level is off the planet . above 30 ppm.
> the only thing I can find that is contributing to this is the KH powder that
> I use.
> Can anybody help me in respect to usage of these buffers.
> since last message I have treated algae with erythromycin so am hoping as in
> Australia it is cheap for this stuff. eg 20c per 250mg capsule
> cheers

It sounds to me like you don't want to use that buffer again.  If you just
want to add KH, then sodium bicarb (baking powder) is probably the best
way to do it.  Calcium carbonate and dolomite work as well, but they also
raise general hardness and they're more difficult to dissolve.

There should be detailed dosing instruction for bicarb at the Krib
(www.thekrib.com).  For the other two, use chip-sized pieces in a bag in
your filters or directly in the tanks and measure KH until it reaches the
level you want, then remove the bag.

If you were using the buffer to pull your pH down then you may want to
either use CO2 to get the same effect, mix RO or deionized water with your
tap water, or just live with a higher pH.

Getting rid of that much phosphorus might be a problem.  Even after 100%
water changes there could be enough of it desorbing from surfaces in the
tank that you will still end up with problem levels of phosphorus.  If so,
then try to find a phosphorus-adsorbing filter media that you can use
temporarily after the massive water changes to pull the phosphorus down to
acceptable levels.

Roger Miller