Re: filter flow rates

Rebecca;

There are a number of factors to take into consideration, among them are:

Manufacturers measure their filters flow with no media installed. As the
filter becomes clogged the flow decreases. When filtered water exits a
filter it mixes with unfiltered water. The filter constantly draws in a
mixture of filtered and unfiltered water. One can never expect to have 100%
of aquarium water completely filtered as aquarium water is constantly being
fouled by fish and plant waste. Realistically we can hope to maintain a 99%
filtered environment.

Here is the formula to compute average turnover rate. Average turnover rate
is the amount of time, in hours, it will take for 99% of the water in a
given aquarium to pass through a given filter. This formula takes into
consideration the decreasing flow rates created by the filter media as it
becomes clogged.

T(ave) = 12.75 x G divided by F

T(ave) is turnover average
12.75 is a purity coefficient (a constant factor [given])
G is the net gallons of the aquarium
F is the manufacturers rated flow of the filter

Tom Bates
Allentown, PA