Re: Saying it correctly

>Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 08:48:23 -0500
>From: "John Godbey" <godbey at wizard_net>
>Subject: Saying it correctly
>
>Can anyone point me to a source, either on the web or in an available book,
>for the proper pronunciation of plant & fish scientific names?  Something
>that would tell me, for example, what syllable gets the accent in
>"Aponogeton"?
>
>John Godbey
>Springfield, VA

John,

There's a book: "Composition of Scientific Words : A Manual of Methods and a Lexicon of Materials for Practice of Logo Technics" that could help you on this matter. The only drawback is that it is about 40 bucks. I used to use this book a while ago at the Smithsonian's Natural History Museum and it is quite comprehensive and fun to read. In case you want it, it's available at Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0874742862/qid=946338867/sr=1-11/002-6691348-6750613.

Alex duBouchet
Washington, DC