Subject: Otos and CAE's

Hello all,

Re the recent discussion on otocinclus, it may be worth pointing out that
there are some 20 species in this genus, varying in adult length from about
1" to 2 1/2". Colors and patterns also vary considerably, from bright orange
to mottled black and white.

In addition to the genus Otocinclus, fish from several closely related
genera are all sold under the trade name "oto." These genera include
Parotocinclus, Hypoptopoma and Microlepidogaster. Altogether, there are some
100+ species in these genera. Admittedly, only about a dozen or so are
regularly seen in the trade, with O. vestitus and O. vittatus being the two
most common. These two do indeed generally conform to Karen Randall's
description below.

But just as ot can be misleading to talk about "Amazon swords" as if they
were the one or two Echinodorus species commonly seen at your LFS, so too
should it be recognized that "otos" are a diverse and interesting group to
whom we do a disservice in equating with one or two common species.

Merry Christmas and a fishy New Year!

Dinyar