Nalagram for you!

In a message dated 12/22/99 12:50:30 AM Pacific Standard Time,

<< > I am starting to see my Neon's get some funny bends in their backs.  1st
 > notice that they get a white spot, then shortly after that, they get all
 > bent out of shape, literally.  It's like they have broken backs.  The one
 > Neon that has had this the longest has been this way for about 8 months.
He
 > has not died, nor does it seem to affect his swimming, and eating.  Do I
 > need to worry about this?

 This could be neon tetra disease.  Is the white spot a loss of color along
 the stripe?  If so, it's neon tetra disease.  It's bacterial.  I've been
 able to "cure" it, but the fish never regained the color that was lost.  I
 used a antibiotic, I'm pretty sure it was Nalagram, but I can check if you
 want.  Mine never got to the point where it deformed the fish, but I've
 read that it can do so.  I also never had it spread to any other fish
 besides neons.  Not even my glow-lite tetras were effected.

Might find it easier by the IUPAC (not!) name Naladixic Acid... 250 mg per
ten gallons.
Bob Fenner