Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1455

In a message dated 12/17/1999 3:49:55 AM Eastern Standard Time,

> From: John_P_Bonin at eFunds_Com
>  Subject: Plants versus medication
>
>  I've given up on medicating my tank for a fish disease that I/stores
>  haven't been able to remedy.  I'd like to remove the remaining fish and
>  treat the tank with something very aggressive.  Has anyone experienced
>  using something that would really do the trick, whatever the disease is,
>  but won't jeopardize my plants too badly.  I don't want to pull up all my
>  plants if at all possible, but then again, I don't want them to die either.
>  Is this possible???

I will stick my neck out a little on this one.    Fish diseases which are
persistent despite your best efforts are often due to stress conditions of
some sort in the tank.  Possibly  due to a low pH with CO2 additions or
other.   Curing the disease and/or putting in new fishes just results in its
reoccurence - same-old - same - old.   Look for stress parameters for your
particular species of fish.    I have never had plant damage which was
noticeable with the use of a chemical called Formalite II when used according
to the directions and have found it very good.  You did not name the disease.
  For persistent and reoccuring problems, however, aways look for an
underlying environmental problem(s).   Do you quarantine any new fish?

Elmer Morehouse

I lurk here because you folks are so good and willing to share vital
knowledge.  Way to go gang.