Re: Algae free plants/emersed culture

"Thomas Barr" wrote:

<snip>
>An idea I came up with is really a fusion of two ideas that may help growing
>emersed plants algae free. It's just an empty tank with pots and some water
>and a clear tight fitting lid. It's kind of like Neil Frank's method of
>using pots in his aquariums, but adding only 2 inches of water on the bottom
>instead of filling the tank up completely. This does several things.
<snip>

Based on my own recent experience I second with everything Tom listed.
I've been doing the same thing for the past five months or so. Just a
20 g clear plastic storage box with a plexiglass plate as cover and a
$6.5 Lights of America 15 watt countertop fluorescent lamp as light
source (replaced the cool white bulb by a GE Plant&Aquarium). Water
circulation is provided by an old powerhead and some vinyl hose and
fittings arranged in a dripping configuration. Originally the experiment
was put in place just to salvage some anubias nana covered with hair
algae. In time I added more low light plants, mostly Java fern and moss
on driftwood, and recently some hemianthus and creeping charlie. I use
just gravel in the pots, and keep the water level at the gravel surface
and covering the wood pieces. Evaporation is nill due to the tight cover.
I feed the water with my regular PMDD mix plus some KNO3 and 8-14-6 liquid
fertilizer. There is no visible algae nor other critters, just some bacterial
film buildup that goes away at the monthly 90% water change. The anubias
grew so much, with such *huge* new leaves, that I was able to divide some
of then into new plants. The other plants are also growing very well despite
the low light. As Tom said, it's a very helpful device for the aquatic plant
keeper. I can now populate my upcoming 20 g paludarium with grown up
specimens at no cost !

At spring time I'll move the experiment one step further and place the
box outdoors under filtered sunligth. Wanna see how these low light plants
do.

-Ivo Busko
 Baltimore, MD