Re:golden ottos.

Joo

I think the golden algae eater is a morph of a CAE.  I had 20 of them at
one time.  Lost 2  but the rest did well in my planted tank.  Limited algae
eating ability. Hostile to their own kind.  Need a big tank.

Alfred

At 03:48 AM 12/13/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 10:37:50 +0800
>From: "Joo Tan" <zoologist at mailcity_com>
>Subject: Re :golden (yellow) sucker mouth algae eater
>
>Hi folks!
>
>Bout this sucker mouth algae eater, could it be the golden varieties of
>Ottos?  Since the fish was described as looking like a SAE but behave like
>an Otto, it makes me felt a bit confused.  But from the first impression
>of the name, golden sucker mouth algae eater, the first thing I thought of
>is the golden Ottos.
>
>Over here in Kuala Lumpur(KL), Ottos are labelled as algae eater by the
>LFS.  I don't know bout you guys elsewhere but over here in KL, we got the
>golden varieties of Ottos.  The LFS sells the normal dirt colored and
>golden varieties in 2-3 inches(golden varieties are harder to get).  As
>for the smaller sized, 1-1.5 inches, they are being sold only with the
>normal dirt colored varieties.  A month ago, I bought 6 of the smaller
>sized and 2 died.  2 weeks later after I bought those fellas, 2 of them
>changed colour to golden.  I've asked the people in the LFS, they said the
>Ottos come in 2 colors.  I've just got myself another 6 bigger sized
>normal colored Ottos, wonder if they will change color later on.
>
>I wonder if anybody know of the golden Ottos as all the Ottos info in the
>web does not say anything bout the golden varieties.
>
>Regards,
>Joo
>tropical KL, Malaysia

In sunny Singapore - if it's not raining!

Visit my humble fish site: http://members.delphi.com/alheng