Buffering and pH

I have a 38 gallon aquarium.  dH is about 1-2d of
hardness.  I have a pH of around 6.4.  Over the
weekend I added some peat to the bottom of the tank in
certain spots (under some swords).  Before adding the
peat the pH was 6.6.  There is almost no buffering in
Atlanta water.  What products/approaches would work
the best to bump up the pH to about 6.8 and add some
hardness into the water?

Should I take the peat out?  Will the peat effects
diminish with time? how long?

Rich