RE: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1442

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 10:14:38 -0800 (PST)
> From: samm <wmaster26 at yahoo_com>
> Subject: A method of madness for the ferilized UGF plate???
>
> In the apartment where I live, my 55Gal tank has to go
> in the balcony [don't worry about the weight
> thing...it   has weathered through many earthquakes
> too ;-] and this is VERY VERY unfortunate because the
> tank will receive plently of light.  It receives
> indirect sunlight in the winter months (from behind a
> neigboring building) and direct sunlight all day
> during the summer time!!! :-O

I have a tank (smaller) outdoors with an open top and the sunlight it gets
is "filtered" through floating plants such as Water Lettuce and Water
Hyacinth. This is probably not what you had in mind, but some may be
interested. The lower plants do fine and my biggest problem is keeping it
cool enough in the summer. There are some Gambusina that take care of any
mosquitos and some tadpoles and small snails. No heater, no CO2, no filter.
I have been shocked that I never had a major algae problem.  I suspect the
higher plants just out-compete.  If the water turns green, I add reverse
osmosis water and the nutrient levels crash... and the algae is gone the
next day. I do have some spyrogyra type algae (Is that what yo call hair
algae or thread algae?)that I keep for the tadpoles and others to munch.
This probably breaks all the rules, but it works and I and my kids enjoy the
tank a lot.
All the best,
shmuel Silinsky