Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 20:40:39 EST
From: Biplane10 at aol_com
Subject: golden (yellow) sucker mouth algae eater

Hello all,

My thanks to those that responded on past questions and problems.

As I was out perusing the lfs to check out possible candidates for some
algae
control, they had an odd-looking fish I've never seen before, or heard of. I

had checked out the Krib's site for identifying the sae, and its
look-alikes.
This particular fish, which they just called a "golden brown algae eater" or

something along those lines, is a yellowish color, with brown, gray or black

markings along it's side, similar to the cae and sae. Some had more of these

markings than others. They looked very active, but worked mostly on the
bottom of the tank, though that isn't necessarily any indication, as there
weren't any plants in there to be worked on. Since the store didn't have
anything remotely like what has been recommended, and it looked like an
ambitious little bugger, I decided to give one a try.

I'd like to know what this fish is. They are rather long and slim. He seems
to perch on the pectoral fins, as my oto will do. He's got the fastest
moving
sucker-mouth I've ever seen on a fish, and I watch him scale up the (short)
wall of the 20 gal in about 3 seconds. His mouth works so fast it's a
blur--no joke. I'm not too optimistic about my hairy algae, but it looks
like
he'd do a great job on walls and gravel. My main concern would be (like the
cae) that he may share a taste for the slime coat on my other fish.

Sylvia