Re: ADA system: my speculations (very long msg.)

In a message dated 12/7/1999 1:55:21 PM Mountain Standard Time,

> >Maybe, from the peat, but again, I don't really think there is a lot of
peat
>  >break-down going on in my tanks.  It leached humics and tannins for a
while,

>  >but that has slowed considerably.
>
>  it's not the peat, it's the "rich nutrient clay" ... nutrients are added
>  and most likely are of oraganic nature. Peat supplies humic acids, and it
>  slowly decades but has nothing to do with nutrient's supply.

in true pure clay, there are no organics.  It is primalily aluminum silicate
and other oxidized metals in relatively simple compound forms.  These
"minerals" are soluble in varying levels, depending on the specific compounds
in question.  The peat helps expidite the solution of certain things.

>  >The problem may be your carbon.  Most types leech out phosphorus, which
can
>  >trigger the algae.
>
>  No... I made this following little experiment: a teaspoon of activated
>  carbon in 25ml of distilled water. Left there for about 12 hours.
>  Phosphates tested: <0.01ppm... so I dont think it leeches out phosphorus.

Carbon is in your tank for a lot longer than 12 hours.  How much does it add
per week?  Wouldn't it leach out faster with water flowing past it than
sitting around it?

>  >Wouldn't it just be easier to find a substrate component that breaks down
>  >slower?  Or maybe use less of it?
>
>  you're right here. But well... I used half the dose suggested by ADA.
>  Anyhow which slow fertilizer compound do you use?

None.  Sometimes I add Job's spikes, but even then it isn't common.  The fish
 provide a lot of stuff that settles to the bottom, but that's it.

  ciao,
Bob Dixon