Re: Shoplights; too good to be true?

> Subject: Shoplights; too good to be true?
>
> I found this post while lurking the newsgroups:
>
> >I have no idea what the bf of those Lights of America brand shop lights
> >are or even what they use for a ballast exactly, but I suspect they are
> >not all that high. Also the cheap ballast method those types of fixtures
> >use could indeed damage your lamps because many times they do indeed
> limit the average current to normal or below normal levels, but still
> >allow through large voltage spikes which can end up damaging the ends/
> >filaments of the lamps causing them to burn out sooner. Cheap ballasting
> >techniques could range from just a capacitor, to maybe a cap and
> >resistor, or even a cap or resistor with a (way undersized) coil of some
> >sort.
>
> >Patrick Timlin --- ptimlin at yahoo_com
>
> I use the Lightway Shoplights because of their hood shape, lightness atop
> glass hood, they light-up INSTANTLY and cost just $9.99 @ Kmart.  I HATE
> those heavy ballasts; I find them undependable to use with timers and
> expensive.  Those who have spent $ on a ballast only to see their bulbs
sit
> there and "simmer" know just what I'm talking about.  But is what this guy
> saying true?
>
> I sommon all the spirits of the "engineering inclined", to fit an answer
> this question.  Ye wizards of technology....Ivo! Are you out there? :-)=
> D.Chang;

Just to offer my two cents on lights of america.  I have four running over
my 20G, and so does my girlfriends tank.  Hers are about 9 months old, and
mine are around 6 months, and neither one of us has had a problem with
shorter bulb life or reduced power.  We both get lush growth, using a
variety of bulbs including Tritons, Grolux, and Chroma 50's.  They are
cheap, and I just glue them to the hood.  They are effective, and cost $7 a
piece at Home Depot.  So far, a nice investment.

Jeff Malmquist