Shoplights; too good to be true?

I found this post while lurking the newsgroups:

>I have no idea what the bf of those Lights of America brand shop lights
>are or even what they use for a ballast exactly, but I suspect they are
>not all that high. Also the cheap ballast method those types of fixtures
>use could indeed damage your lamps because many times they do indeed
limit the average current to normal or below normal levels, but still
>allow through large voltage spikes which can end up damaging the ends/
>filaments of the lamps causing them to burn out sooner. Cheap ballasting
>techniques could range from just a capacitor, to maybe a cap and
>resistor, or even a cap or resistor with a (way undersized) coil of some
>sort.

>Patrick Timlin --- ptimlin at yahoo_com

I use the Lightway Shoplights because of their hood shape, lightness atop a
glass hood, they light-up INSTANTLY and cost just $9.99 @ Kmart.  I HATE
those heavy ballasts; I find them undependable to use with timers and
expensive.  Those who have spent $ on a ballast only to see their bulbs sit
there and "simmer" know just what I'm talking about.  But is what this guy
saying true?

I sommon all the spirits of the "engineering inclined", to fit an answer to
this question.  Ye wizards of technology....Ivo! Are you out there? :-)=
D.Chang;

"The secret to long term SUCCESS and HAPPINESS is to find what you LOVE to
do best.....
...and get someone to PAY you for doing it !"

See my NEW (12/1) Plants and Driftwood  at;
http://www.mindspring.com/~boukmn/Boukmn_s-Homepage.html
http://www.mindspring.com/~boukmn/index/Driftwood/

eBay specials at:
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/boukmn/