Re: Re: ADA system: my speculations (very long msg.)

Bob wrote:

>Maybe, from the peat, but again, I don't really think there is a lot of peat
>break-down going on in my tanks.  It leached humics and tannins for a while,
>but that has slowed considerably.

it's not the peat, it's the "rich nutrient clay" ... nutrients are added
and most likely are of oraganic nature. Peat supplies humic acids, and it
slowly decades but has nothing to do with nutrient's supply.

>The problem may be your carbon.  Most types leech out phosphorus, which can
>trigger the algae.

No... I made this following little experiment: a teaspoon of activated
carbon in 25ml of distilled water. Left there for about 12 hours.
Phosphates tested: <0.01ppm... so I dont think it leeches out phosphorus.

>Wouldn't it just be easier to find a substrate component that breaks down
>slower?  Or maybe use less of it?

you're right here. But well... I used half the dose suggested by ADA.
Anyhow which slow fertilizer compound do you use?

ciao,
Luca