Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1423

>HELP!  While cleaning out our coffee maker, my roommate accidentally
>spilled old coffee grounds into my 10 gal. planted tank.  We took out the
>lone fish (a previously very happy betta) and sucked up most of the
>grounds and about 90% of the water, but in a few places the grounds have
>sunk into the gravel and I don't want to disrupt the gravel and the soil
>underneath it if I don't have too.  There is about 3/4 of an inch of
>gravel over 1/2-3/4 of an inch of soil in the area where the grounds
>settled in.  Does anyone know of the effects of a mild brew of coffee on
>plants or fish?  Does anyone have any idea whether daily (or more, if
>needed, I love this tank) would be sufficient or whether I need to tear
>down the tank and start it over?  I'm guessing that about 1-1.5
>tablespoons of coffee are left in the tank.  Thanks,
>Amelia

Actually some folks have used coffee to stimulate breeding factors in fish.
Large water changes will take care of it if your worried. I'm tempted to
make so jokes but I'll refrain<g>.
Just do a light vacumming of the the top of your gravel and a couple of big
water changes every two or so days will solve any problems. It's not all
that toxic as you might think.
Stranger things have and will happen, at least it's not Spic and Span or
Pinesol!
Regards,
Tom Barr