Re: C02 Measurements

There has been a number of posts lately about peat wreaking havoc with
the pH/kH/CO2 relationship. I saw a *huge* effect when adding a small bag
with about 200 ml of fine ground gardening sphagnum peat to my aquarium.
With everything else kept the same, including kH and the CO2 bubbling rate,
in less than two days the pH dropped from 6.4 - 6.6 to below 6.0 (the lower
limit of my test kit). The pH had been stable for several months before, only
occasionaly raising to the 6.8 - 7.0 range when the CO2 yeast is near
exhaustion (tap water has pH = 7.4). So in this case in particular the
introduction of peat in the water *did* break up the relationship.

-Ivo Busko
 Baltimore, MD