RE: Algae Scrubber

> Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 21:45:21 -0800
> From: "Thomas Barr" <tcbiii at earthlink_net>
> Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1418
>
> Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 05:34:10 EST
> >From: EFPav at aol_com
> >Subject: Algae Scrubber
> >
> >Hello all,
> >    I have toying with the idea of building an algae scrubber to
> replace my
> >UGF in my 55g aquarium.  All the literature I have found so far almost
> >unanimously suggests plants instead of algae because they easier
> to manage.
> >In that case, two planted tanks would certainly be better than one.
> >    Does anyone have experience in cycling water between tanks
> to supplement
> >filtration?  This seems like a logical approach if light cycles are
> >alternated between tanks.  Would it not stabilize daily pH
> fluctuations, and
> >effectively double (depending on the size aquarium) the amount
> of biological
> >filtration?
> >
> >Eric
Hi Eric,
    I don't know much about it, but I saw on a website a series of 5
aquariums in an exhibit that had varying heights with water flowing fom one
to the other and then pumped up at the end.  It looked very slick and
allowed different stream ecosystems with a large water volume and only one
pump. Good aeration from the water pouring into the end of each tank and a
nice stream flow for fish or crustaceans that like that sort of thing. Don't
know much about which plants like moving water, but the exhibit looked
great.

All the best,
Shmuel Silinsky