RE: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1408

> Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 02:47:34 -0500
> From: Kevin McCall <device at sympatico_ca>
> Subject: Worms
>
> With the recent discussion on worms, I too noticed worms in the
> substrate of my heavily planted 90g, shortly after cleaning some
> light B/G algae below the gravel line with a blade. The worms were
> very slender [less than 2mm], with many hair-like legs along the
> length of the body, which varied from 1" to about 3". the girth of
> the worms did not seem to vary with the length. More disturbing was
> the number of them that seemed to writhing around against the glass.
> Closer inspection seemed to indicate that they stick their heads
> slighty out of the gravel.

Hey, there are lots of life forms in an ecosystem. : ) You may want ot check
out a book on pond life to get more insights.
Again, rare is the parasite that is free-swimming (or free-wriggling). From
your description, they may not be worms, but rather larvae of some gnat or
other flying insect. Creatures as you describe are relished by loaches like
horsehead and kuhli as well as lots of other bottom dwellers.  I would get
some of these cute little loaches and turn your problem into an asset.

All the best,
Shmuel Silinksy