Worms

With the recent discussion on worms, I too noticed worms in the
substrate of my heavily planted 90g, shortly after cleaning some
light B/G algae below the gravel line with a blade. The worms were
very slender [less than 2mm], with many hair-like legs along the
length of the body, which varied from 1" to about 3". the girth of
the worms did not seem to vary with the length. More disturbing was
the number of them that seemed to writhing around against the glass.
Closer inspection seemed to indicate that they stick their heads
slighty out of the gravel.

After a period of weeks, the worms seemed to disappear, [at least
form the glass ] and after subsequent scrapings below the gravel
line, and a major plant removal and re-adjustment, I have seen only
one worm which was within the root system of a large sword.

After recovery from a bad case of the willies, I began to think that
maybe these guys are at least providing some benefit by stirring up
the substrate a bit.

Are these worms parasitic; what detrimental impact if any may they
have [tank is in perfect health otherwise], and should I be concerned
about any possible infectation of my own personage. [ I do not
generally slurp from the tank, even though the prospect of sudden
weight loss does make me think... :)))

Any insights would be appreciated.

Kevin McCall