Re: PMDD - Phosphate limited?

David asked...

>Well, I'm about to start a PMDD, but I want to know what I should test for
>initially to find out what I need (i.e., what would be critical to test for
>initially)?  What does it mean to be phosphate limited or limited period?

Initially you should ask your local water authority to send you
their analysis of your tap water. Then you will have a starting
point. In any case you will have to test for nitrate.

Phosphate limited means that the nutritional element which is
limiting plant growth in the tank is phosphate. One may allow
any element to restrict growth, but phosphate is generally chosen
because its absence from the water column appears to have a
deleterious effect upon most algae in the long run. This is the
rationale behind the Sears-Conlin approach.

--
Dave Whittaker
Gloucester, Ontario