Algea and PMDD

I wish I could get some SAE's! I "borrowed" one from my wife, and all it did
was sulk because it missed its two friends (I assume). Since it was not
eating any algae I returned it. Then I found some SAE's at the LFS
mis-identified as flying foxes. I bought 4 but they were very small - less
than 1" long - and three of them have died (in a quarantine tank). I think
they were too young to be moved. They are next to impossible to locate
around here (central North Carolina).