MTS: too much of a good thing?

<< I have so many MSTs in my 30 gallon tank, I can't see the fish.  I finally
 found a way to kill them in a ten-gallon without disrupting the substrate.
 pulled out all the plants and fish, and dumped a bunch of muriatic acid into
 it.  The gravel fizzed for three days, and not one MST is left.  I will do
 the same to my 30 gallon in the near future, but I am somewhat reticent, as
 the plants are finally getting a start there. >>

why such drastic measures?  snails need some minerals in the water (to build
shells).  if you keep your water soft and acidic, their population will
decline.

tsuh yang chen, nyc, USA