RE:Stargrass

Tom wrote :

Alleopathy, might very well be  happening here. Can you rule out any animal
nibbling? Is there blackening of any parts of your plant?
How big is your tank? Do you do big water changes? In bigger tanks and/or
lots of water changes this condition/process is less likely to occur.
Stargrass doesn't like to be grown with Eichhornia speices like azurea and
diversifolia in small tanks(20 gallon in my case). There may be more plants
that it doesn't like to be around. There are about 200 or so species kept in
the USA and the possible combo's and variations are staggering and that's
only talking about if you have an ideal tank that never changes
conditions<g>. Most plants get along though(thankfully!).

Try playing around with removing a plant species and adding another in it's
place that you best guess might be bothering your Stargrass for instance.
The Eichhornia and the Stargrass are similar in color, leaf shapes, tendency
for blackening, and all are fast growers so I removed the stargrass to see
if the Eichhornia would do better. It did. Nothing else changed and after
several months of struggling to get these plant to grow together the only
thing that showed any hint at all was removing the Stargrass. Wham! The
Eichhornia took off. This happened in two different tanks with different
conditions. These are just observationals here............no hard
proof.......... but perhaps a cure<g>.
Regards,
Tom Barr

___________________________________

I grow stargrass alongside with Eichornia azurea , and never experienced any
sign of alleopathy.
True , my tank is 150 gal.......  I had 5 Eichornia with my stargrass and
both were growing like mad, until
my gurami did what i said.... :((
After reaquascaping, i still have 1 Eichornia and stargrass is
rowing...( thanks to gurami's death ).....
Maybe something in the water chemistry, like some critical trace element
lacking specifically for these two species, did what you have
experienced......making both competing against each other.......?....

Pierre Tremblay
Québec