Re: conservation help

Hello,

congrats on your dedication to helping the animals that we humans are
causing problems with!

On to your brown algae issue.  On www.thekrib.com you will find various
information on algaes.  Also there is a good book I highly recomend it is
called "Plankton culture manual" you can order it at www.aquatic-eco.com.
Brown algaes are typically diatoms.  Diatom cell walls are composed of
silicon dioxide and the cells forms complex shapes.  Cyclotella is
cultivated as a food source and it's found in marine as well as
freshwater, they range from 5-12 um and is shaped in a symmetric
unicellular manner.

In the marine enviroment there is a common myth that silica sand causes
diatom growth.  In truth silica sand can be used by diatom algaes as
can silica in glass, tubing, glue, etc..  Lower light levels have also
been attributed to diatom growth in freshwater.

Hope this helps your cultivation! Also you may wish to get in contact with
the magazine "endangered species" and perhaps they would be willing to do
an article on your efforts.

Ed