Aquatic 'worms'

I have some beginner questions that I hope the more experienced of you might
help me with...

Is there a tropical freshwater equivalent of the terrestrial worm (grub,
snail, fish etc); i.e. something small & benign that spends a lot of time
digging around in the gravel at the bottom of the tank & keeping it loose &
aerated?

Also, does anyone know what fish poo is actually made of (not how it's made
- I know that already)?  Also, in an aerobic environment what happens to it
over time (apart from the fact that you seem to get more of it!)?

Final question - Apart from plants, what do aquatic snails eat & what waste
products (solid & liquid) do they produce?

TIA - Kevin