RE:aquarium driftwood

> I have just received my driftwood centerpiece from Aquarium Driftwood
> (www.aquariumdriftwood.pair.com).  I am impressed with the look, size,
and
> shape of it, especially for the money.  My problem is that it comes from
> freshwater lake in Alabama, and still has traces of algae on it, along
with
> who knows what else.  The people who sell it are upfront about it; they
make
> no guarantees that it is sterile, but promise that it will not discolor
my
> water and say they are not aware of any problems caused by contaminants
in
it.

I bought over $100 worth of driftwood from Aquarium driftwood. I didnt have
any problem with algae or tannins, but it wasnt quite what I expected. Some
of the peices look like swiss cheese with all the insect eaten holes in the
wood, but the main problem is that I cant keep it from floating. They did
warn me that I would have to keep the wood wet before putting it in the
tanks, and I have to admitt I let some of them dry out...but others that
 were still waterlogged continued to float up to the surface. I had the
same problem with a huge 3 foot peice of bogwood that I bought from Ecco
systems. I siliconed rocks to that peice and the darn thing still floated.
I kept it in a garbage can of water for three months and it still didnt get
completely water logged. If someone would like to take all this wood off my
hands, I would glady cut a heck of a deal!

I have long skinny peices for terracing, branchy stump centerpeices, and
hollowed out logs for planters. Not to mention the big peice of bogwood
that sitting in my "outdoor" garden.

Robert Paul  H
http://www.aquabotanic.com
"Lots of good info and  plants for sale"
winner of the StudyWeb Academic Excellence Award
AB & Roger Williams Zoo
http://www.aquabotanic.com/RWPzoo.htm
plants for sale
http://www.aquabotanic.com/4sale_prices.htm