Sterilizing driftwood

Hello All,
I have just received my driftwood centerpiece from Aquarium Driftwood
(www.aquariumdriftwood.pair.com).  I am impressed with the look, size, and
shape of it, especially for the money.  My problem is that it comes from a
freshwater lake in Alabama, and still has traces of algae on it, along with
who knows what else.  The people who sell it are upfront about it; they make
no guarantees that it is sterile, but promise that it will not discolor my
water and say they are not aware of any problems caused by contaminants in it.
I have decided that I will not risk putting it in my new tank unsterilized.
It is too big to fit in my oven (approx. 24"X14"X 10"), where I was going to
put it in a roasting pan filled with water and cover it with foil and boil
it.  I should note that this wood must be kept wet, or it will dry out and
float.  It is now in a tightly sealed garbage bag.
In the APD archives, the only reference to sterilizing a big chunk of wood
suggests putting it in a metal garbage can on a Coleman stove.  I may have to
do this yet, but I wonder if anyone can think of another way.  Is there any
gas I could introduce into the bag that would do it?  Perhaps mix ammonia and
bleach in a cup in the bag?  ( I use this mainly as an example.  I have been
warned not to do this inadvertently  too many times to try it lightly).
Thanks in advance for all suggestions offered.  I will send a follow up post
if something works well.
Pierre Gagne
Silver Spring, MD