Planted Discus Tanks

Andy wrote:

>I view of the lack of responses to my post regarding running a thriving
>planted Discus setup - it would appear that Karen`s Aquatic Frontiers
>article may be correct in that it is not an easy thing to achieve.
>
>I assume all the water changes and more water changes to keep PO4 levels low
>make this type of setup out of the reach of all but the most dedicated
>fishkeepers/aquatic horticulturists.
>
>Someone must have cracked it  ?  If you have, will you contact me ?

Very large tanks work fine.  There is really no difference between a Discus
tank and any other planted aquarium.  You _must_ find some way of exporting
the nutrients that you put into the tank.  This can be through balance of
plant mass/growth to fish load/feeding, or by chemical removal or by water
changes.  It makes no difference whether you are discussing a quart pickle
jar full of guppies or a 1000 gallon public display tank.  It's just easier
in a big tank if you are going to keep big fish with hearty appetites.  And
Discus, besides their (IMO undeserved) reputation as being "delicate" and
"finicky" are big fish that eat like piglets.

Karen