FW flounders

In a message dated 11/2/1999 3:50:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,

> I haven't tried growing them.  I read that they can live in fresh water as
>  juveniles but must move to saltier water as they get older.  This is
>  probably a case of a fish that shouldn't be sold for freshwater tanks.

baby flounders taht are sold in teh pet trade are babies of native species
which are saltwater animals.  there are true FW flounders from teh amazon
(Achirus) which unfortunately don't show up in the trade, although they would
perhaps be good additions as they grow to only 5" (12 cm).

tsuh yang chen, nyc, USA