Light Levels and Glass Lids

Hello all,

I have recently started a plant tank and was wondering if anybody out there has
any comments regarding what the effect of a glass top on my 55 gallon (LxWxH:
36x18x20) has on light penetration into the water column. I currently have 4x30
W FL tubes for a total of 120 W of light ( ~2.2 W/gal). I have heard both
extremes: it has a significant effect and it has very little effect. Has anybody
actually measured the PAR with and without a glass top? Thanks in advance.

Peter
Ottawa, Canada