Re: Whiteish chain swords, PMDD source in Washington DC

>I had similar symptoms just after placing some Jobes plant sticks under my
>E. tenellus and some ailing micro-sags.  The new growth came in white, then
>melted within a few days.  The increase in nutrients had encouraged my
>plants' metabolism.  The result was the discovery of a difficiency of which
>I was previously unaware: it was Magnesium in my case.   The leaves are long
>and green now, and they no longer melt.
>
>- --------------------------------
>michael rubin

I didn't say in my former posting, but my E. tenellus also melted completely
a few months before the whitening episode. This was right after being
introduced in the (relatively new) tank, so I thought it was normal for this
plant. i didn't do anything to fix the problem, and was amazed how quickly
it recovered from the ashes.

>Or you can drive to Aquarium Center in Baltimore and find anything you need!
>Best Store in the MD/DC/VA are...hands down!
>
>Tom

Been there, done that. Best plant store in the area. They don't carry
PMDD products though. They sell several brands of commercial fertlizer.
Before getting Liquid Iron (sent by a pal in Indiana) I used to buy there
FloraSan, which is the closest thing I could find that matches the
canonical PMDD ratios. It's very dilute, about a factor 8 when compared
with canonical PMDD concentrations. I complemented it with the macro
chemicals and used it for a number of months with success.

-Ivo Busko
 Baltimore, MD