RE: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1356

> > Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 11:56:50 EDT
> From: Moontanman at aol_com
> Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1355
>
> All the hype about zebra mussels is ridiculous. They are not going to
take
> over an aquarium, even if they can reproduce in a closed environment
> (something that has yet to proven) they will still go the way of any over
> population of clams in an aquarium. They starve! The faster they
reproduce
> the faster they will starve. since the man already lives in an area
infested
> with the clams he doesn't need to worry about them getting loose and
taking
> over the earth, raiding the refrigerator or crashing his hard drive. Due
> the very limited amount of food available in an aquarium only a very
small
> number of any filter feeders will live, when they have to compete with a
> mechanical filter they are doomed to a slow starvation. Yes, it would be
> wrong to ship any of these clams to a non-infected area
but if they were as

It would be wrong, and quite illegal to ship them anywhere, infected or
not. When you are trying to irradicate a pest, you dont introduce more....

> easily transferred as some would have us believe they would have already
> taken over the earth a long time ago. Most aquarium inhabitants are the
> scourge of the earth somewhere.
Simply not true

 Any plant or animal allowed to escape into
> the wild outside of it's natural habitat has the potential to overrun
that
> ecosystem.

Again not true. There are more non invasive species than there are invasive
ones

 there may be hope yet, in some area's some native fish have
> started to acquire a taste for zebra's.
Really? Name one!

 Let's be careful with all our plants
> and animals and adhere to the slogan "Once caught, once bought, never
> released)"

A better motto would be, be respectfull of the enviornment and follow the
laws of the land
> Moon

I think you are missing the point here, Moon. Zebra Mussles are filthy
parasites that reproduce and spread very easily. Its very conceivable that
they could be spread from one tank to another just by dipping a net in the
water, or your arm.. Even if what you are saying is true, I certainly
wouldnt want hundreds or thousands of dead baby zebras in an aquarium. What
people here are concerned with is that anyone reading this either by
subscription or in the archives on the WEB might get the idea that they
could go and do this too. Its just a bad idea that doesnt make any sense at
all.