Re: Activated carbon

Kevin wrote:
> Also, despite 'surfing the net' until the wee small hours for a few nights,
> I can't find a conclusive answer to the question 'Activated Carbon or Not'
> in a planted tank.  What's the current consensus?
AC is usefull in removing some of the 'bad' stuff out of the tank, but
with plants, let them remove it. The carbon has the potential to
remove your PMDD if/when you start using it. To be sure it's not
removing stuff you've added or stuff you need, just leave the carbon
out of the filter bag. I don't know if it's able to remove CO2 (probably
so), but I know it'll capture those chleated metals. The plants can
be your filter, and the bag will just catch all the big stuff (leaves,
moss pieces, riccia pieces).

Jamie, in sunny SC

jjohnson at davisfloyd_com
jjirons at greenwood_net  (home)