Re: nitrate

 >From: Leonardo <cathouse at cdsnet_net>
 >Subject: nitrate
 >From: Ed Street <br at ldl_net>

> >E) Filters.  Filters will litteraly become nitrate farms if not handled
> >properly.  Media change very often is required to keep the numbers in
> >check as with water changes.  The common practice of over sizing >filters
> >is usually a no-no for maintaining nutrient levels that are
> adequate >(like nitrate)
>
>This is something for me to consider.  I regularly (monthly) tear into
>the canister (Fluval 303 on a 60 gallon long), but don't do more than
>give rotating parts of it a good scrubbing.  So- the bacteria that
>produce the nitrate don't get adequately removed in this way?  Just
>chuck the sponges or ceramics occasionally and start over?  Boil them,
>maybe?

There is something wrong with this logic here.  Filters do not produce
nitrate out of nothing.  They convert ammonia to nitrate.  Why is "over
sizing filters a no-no for maintaining nutrient levels that are adequate
(like nitrate)"?  Would you rather leave the nitrate as ammonia?  Because
that's all that can happen if you limit nitrate production.  A filter can
only produce as much nitrate as is available in the form of ammonia.  It
doesn't produce more because it's bigger.  It can produce less if it's
smaller, but only if it's inadequate at doing its job and you are left with
ammonia.

By cleaning the media (foam, floss, etc.), you remove excess nitrate
trapped in the media (in the form of organic detritus), but I don't see a
need for changing the media.  I have used the same foam blocks in my Fluval
filter for years, just rinsing them well occasionally.  And my nitrate is
close to zero.  You certainly don't want to boil and kill the bacteria!

Hoa

Hoa G. Nguyen
Freshwater Planted Aquarium: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/2637/