Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1355

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 14:48:27 -0600
From: Shannon Wheeler
Subject: Re: CO2 and anabantoids

> ...I've seen reports and been to Betta web sites that state
> that '*must*' is just not correct...

Granted - and perhaps I shouldn't have even opened the door on that one. Of
course, for every report listed, either pro or con, I'm sure that someone
will have their own interpretation - just look at what's happening to the
work of Dalton and Boyle ;-)

But, this isn't an Anabantid list, and there seems to be no "technically
precise" report worth citing that definitively settles the question. Let's
just assume the fact that there must be a valid reason, somewhere down the
line, for the development of the organ and the need for surface breathing -
whatever the reason. If this were a math class, we could call it a "Given:".
That way, we can focus more closely on the true question at hand:

Does the technique of CO2 injection, particularly in a closed system, pose a
risk to those fish who do utilize atmospheric air? Or, lacking any academic
references, does anyone have any experience (not theoretical interpretation
or conjecture) pointing to a possible problem?

-Y-

David A. Youngker
nestor10 at mindspring_com
http://www.mindspring.com/~nestor10