Re: I'm probably insane but..

Matthew writes:

>  All this talk the past few days about freshwater clams and mussels
>  prompted me to try out what may be the craziest idea yet. I went down to
the
>  river today and collected 2 dozen zebra mussels and tossed them into my 10
>  gallon tank. At the moment they seem to be doing fine and are all open. I
>  will be taking some water samples the next few days to the lab and testing
>  refractive index, turbidity and color index. If anyone is interested in the
>  results I will post them here on the list.
>       If anyone would like some let me know. We have them by the millions.
>  Just let me know if you would prefer specimens from the outlet of sewage
>  treatment plant or the outlet from the cooling towers for the nuclear
>  reactors... Just kidding...

I don't know whether this makes you insane or not, but it DOES make you a
felon.  Shipping them by mail will end you up in prison for sure.  I strongly
suggest you go to the nearest hardware store, get some muriatic acid, and
introduce about one pint per net gallon of water to your tank.  Don't
transfer the plants and fish to other tanks first, as this will introduce
several hundred zebra mussel "spores" (what's the right term here, folks?) to
the other tanks.

Dumb, really dumb.

Bob Dixon