Re: CO2 rich layer above water

I'm sorry, but I just could not stand it anymore.  The partial pressures law
is a steady state equation  It take a finite amount of time to reach
equilibrium.  So if you are constantly adding CO2 to the water, the air at
the surface of the tank *will* have a higher concentration of CO2 that the
ambient atmosphere.  If the CO2 injection rate is minimal, and the top of the
tank is uncovered, the amount of excess CO2 at the surface will be
insignificant.  But, if the top of the tank is covered (doesn't have to be
tight, just drastically reduce the area of the boundary between the outside
air and that trapped behind the cover), and then especially if the CO2
injection rate is kind of high (that's a technical term :-), the air right
above the tank will be far richer in CO2 than the air in the room -- because
it cannot dissipate as fast as it is being added.

I feel better now.

regards,
bob